Wednesday, January 19, 2011

GOALS....WHAT A JOKE....DO I NEED THEM ?

 DO I REALLY NEED TO SET GOALS OR SHOULD I WONDER ABOUT AIMLESSLY ?

 I have a tough job. People like to argue with it.
Sometimes when I meet someone for the first time the subject of what we do for a living comes up. When I tell them what I do, they’ll start an argument about it.
    “I’ve tried goal setting, it never did anything for me.”
    “Those quacks say you can just set a goal for a million dollars and it will come true. Everyone knows that doesn’t work.”
    “What’s the point? I’ve tried New Years resolutions and they never come true.”
This is an easy argument for me to win, because Goal setting does work and I will prove it in one of these typical conversations…
Paul: “Hey, I see you have a car out there. Did you inherit it?”
No Goal Guy: “No, I bought it.”
Paul: “So, Did you just rip a check out of your checkbook and hand it to someone and say “Bring me a car.” ?
No Goal Guy: “No Paul, I wanted a Cadillac. So I saved up some money and went up to the dealer and bought it at 5% financing on the balance.”Paul: “Ok, so why did you choose a Cadillac? Did someone command you to go buy it? Did they pick out the Red color? Did they insist you get the improved stereo? Did they demand you get the Cts series?”
By now, they are starting to pick up that I am setting a trap.
No goal guy: “Is there a point to this? I’ve wanted a Cadillac  for years – it’s my dream car. Finally, I got to the point where I could afford one, so I went up and got the color I wanted with the enhancements I wanted.
Paul: “So you admit goal setting does work….
No goal guy: “That’s not goal setting.”
Paul: “Of course it is. Goal setting is working toward a dream and achieving it. You formed a picture of that car in your mind, you unconsciously worked a series of steps, and then you eventually obtained it.”
The act of not setting goals is virtually impossible.
Frankly, a person who doesn’t set goals is either in a coma or dead.
Think about it. Nearly everything you own, all of your surroundings are a result of a picture in your mind before you built, made or bought it. Some readers got what you wanted more efficiently by first acknowledging that it works but also taking advantage of it by using the system to get more.
So does goal setting work? Of course it does. There are only varying degrees of efficiency with it.
I liken it to you wanting to go somewhere and let's say your are in a train station and approach the ticket window. You say to the clerk I wish to purchase a ticket for the train. Of course his first response is what destination do wish to go to. Then you stupidly answer. Oh, I don't care just give me a ticket to anywhere. Sir, I can't sell you a ticket unless you tell me where you wish to go it must be a specific place. Do you get it? You want to go somewhere or attain something but you don't know what, it's like getting lost and going around in circles you'll never get to where you want to be.
Paul Barrus

Follow me on these links:
http://facebook.com/pbarrus1
http://YouTube.com/paulbarrus1

Get my FREE Marketing Strategies: CLICK HERE NOW

1 comment:

  1. We set goals every moment of every day in fact ~ I'm going to sit here, I'm going to start the car ~ but we don't think of them as goals. Much like your guy with the Cadillac.

    The real power comes when you align Intention with your Goals, and focus on it daily and DO whatever actions you're inspired to do.

    But unless you have a Goal in mind, you're not going to end up anywhere near where you hoped.

    "Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?'
    'That depends a good deal on where you want to get to,' said the Cat.
    'I don't much care where —' said Alice.
    'Then it doesn't matter which way you go,' said the Cat"
    Alice in Wonderland

    ReplyDelete